Strategic meeting of sex workers in Moscow
At the meeting, more than 40 representatives of the sex workers community have identified goals, objectives, and key actions for the next five years. The meeting was attended by representatives from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Ekaterinburg, Togliatti, Perm, Kazan, Naberezhnye Chelny, Krasnoyarsk, Orsk, Uzbekistan, Moldova, Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan.
At the meeting the participants discussed the problems that sex workers are facing in these regions, barriers to prevention programs and ways to overcome them.
The meeting participants prepared reports on the following topics:
- The history of the movement of sex workers.
- The Association "Silver Rose", an overview of the decisions made at the strategic meeting in 2012.
- Overview of the Global Fund program.
- Experiences in Kyrgyzstan.
- Monitoring of HIV/STI prevention projects and services.
- Implementation concept and recommendations of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW).
Delegates of the meeting have identified the most important areas of interest for sex workers:
- Sex workers' participation at all stages of planning, implementation and evaluation of programs
- Access to post-exposure prophylaxis.
- Access to crisis services.
- Medical confidentiality.
- Funding of projects and programs for sex workers.
- Access to HIV treatments for legal immigrants.
- Broader information sharing programs
In addition, to improve the public image of sex workers, it was decided to establish new communication channels (magazine, TV programme) and a recognizable brand (souvenirs, books, movies, events, competitions).